Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Whole Foods Challenge Recipe // Snack Recipe: Energy Bites


Photo by Valerie Jones

Last week I shared my need to find some wholesome snacks to feed my sweet and salty cravings. I saw this recipe floating around Pinterest and have been thinking about making it. I finally did thanks to a friend’s encouragement. She knows what I like. And I love these! (My husband does too…win!)

A word of caution: This is the type of snack that can easily become unhealthy either because of overeating (it is really hard to only eat one), or by using ingredients that are heavy on sugar and other not so health-friendly things. It is up to you what types of ingredients you want to include!

Since I did not want to spend a lot of money making these, especially for the first try, I decided to compromise by using a couple of generic ingredients. Most of the ball is wholesome though and I have no qualms enjoying them in moderation.

This is the type of snack that is easy to substitute ingredients. You can use any nut butter (not just peanut butter), replace the coconut with dried cranberries, use a different size/flavor chip or leave them out completely…the possibilities are endless!

Here is the recipe as I prepared it:

Energy Bites
1 cup Oatmeal (uncooked, generic)
1/2 cup Peanut Butter (pure, organic)
1/3 cup Honey (raw, local)
1/2 cup Milled Flax Seed
1/2 cup Coconut Flakes (generic brand sweetened, half the amount of original recipe)
3/4 cup Chocolate Chips (generic brand semi-sweet)
1 tsp Vanilla

1. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and let chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.

2. Roll the mixture into balls and store in the fridge in an air-tight container.

Enjoy!

0 comments: