Monday, January 7, 2013

Six Homemade Gifts // Gift One: Lotion

I'm excited to finally share with you my projects from this last month! Of course, I couldn't reveal surprises before Christmas, but here they are...



I made gift baskets for my family members with six different homemade goods:

Lotion
Rice Bags
Soy Candles
Strawberry Balsamic Jam
Sugar Scrub
Vanilla Extract

It was so much fun to personalize the gifts and make things that I love and I know are good for you! I have a hard time giving people things with sketchy ingredients. So I enjoyed learning how to make some everyday items in my own kitchen for those I love.



Over the next couple weeks I'll explain how I made each of them. Today we will start with...
  
Homemade Lotion
I've posted about lotion before, but I modified the recipe a bit this time around. This version is creamier and full of rich moisturizers. The recipe is more about proportions than actual measurements. If you want to just try a small amount, make "one part" equal to 1/8 - 1/4 cup.

Homemade Lotion Recipe
One part Beeswax
One part Shea Butter
One part Coconut Oil
Two-Three parts Almond Oil & Jojoba Oil
(I used mostly Almond with a few squirts of Jojoba. You can use Safflower, Sunflower....any oil you choose.) 

1. Start by melting the beeswax in a double boiler. I usually rig my large glass measuring cup in a pot of water.
2. Add shea butter and coconut oil. Stir frequently to incorporate everything.
3. Add the remaining oils. Mix thoroughly and keep it on the heat for a couple more minutes.
4. Remove liquid from heat. Add essential oil at this time if you want a scent. Be sure to mix it in well!
5. Pour liquid into a container. I use little glass containers with air tight lids or mason jars.
6. As the liquid cools, it will thicken. Stir frequently to keep it creamy. You can stick it in the fridge to speed up the process.
7. You are done! Keep in mind the lotion will be thicker when it's cool and creamier when it's warm. Either way, it melts easily on skin and feels GREAT!


(DP)

0 comments: