Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Homemade Cream Lotion


It has been awhile since I posted about my steps to natural living. A couple of months ago, I got a little burned out trying so many different things…and many of them failing. But I knew I wouldn’t give up – just needed a break.

So now I am back to experimenting. Recently, I decided to try a recipe for homemade cream lotion. I’ve been loving my homemade hard lotion bars, but sometimes I prefer something I can just squirt on and rub in. I know my husband prefers this too, so I wanted to find something we would both use.

I happened upon this Easy Beeswax Lotion recipe from ASonoma Garden blog. Of course, I adapted it a little…all credit goes to the original post, but here is what I did:

Cream Lotion Recipe
½ cup Almond oil
¼ cup Coconut oil
¼ cup beeswax 
(if you want to use the lotion in a pump bottle, reduce the beeswax by about 1 TBSP)

1. Combine all the above ingredients together in a half-pint mason jar. Set the jar in a pot of water, with the water coming only ¾ of the way up the side of the jar. Be careful to not get water in your jar. (Water encourages bacteria growth.)

2. Heat the pot at medium/low heat. Stir contents occasionally until melted.

3. Once it is melted, leave the jar at room temperature to cool. Or speed up the cooling by placing in the fridge. Stir the contents with a fork every 10 minutes or so while it is cooling.

Note: If you want to use the lotion in a pump bottle, pour the melted mixture into the bottle and let it cool there. I re-purposed a used glass pump bottle for my lotion. 


The lotion will be a little greasy, so give it time to absorb into the skin well. This is NOT like store-bought hand cream or pump lotion, but I love that it is only three all-natural ingredients that are great for the skin!  The coconut oil is the strongest part of the scent - it is easy to add essential oils (like the original recipe) if you want to change it up.

Next time, I might experiment with leaving the coconut oil out and using shea butter instead. It might be creamier and less greasy? We’ll see…

0 comments: