Friday, July 13, 2012

Photo Friday // July Celebration #5 // Family & Food


Earlier this week I got to spend a day with some family after they returned from vacation. My uncle and grandma were staying with my parents for a couple days and so it was a great opportunity to visit with them. 

Since my family was out of town on my birthday, they asked me what I wanted to do for a birthday dinner. My uncle is a bit of a foodie and he always has the most delicious recipes to share. So I requested we prepare a new recipe together…something light, fresh and summery.

My uncle had the perfect meal in mind:

Garlic Lime Chicken Fajitas
Corn, Tomato and Avocado Salad
Fruit Salad with Limoncello over Pound Cake (for dessert)

Together we shopped, chopped and cooked…then we all enjoyed a refreshing, (mostly) healthy, summer meal! 

I loved one-on-one time I got with my family members. It is not something I get to enjoy often so I savor the blessed moments. And of course I always try to document the memories so they linger a little longer.

(I included the recipes at the end of the post in case you want to try something new this summer!)
 
Mom, Dad & me

With Gma & Uncle Gary


Lovely cards and gifts
 
Uncle Gary preparing the salad

Love those bright, fresh colors!

Mixing the corn salad.

Cilantro dressing for the salad.

Cooking the chicken mixture.

Look at that colorful plate (it was delicious!)
Fruit with limoncello (I had some for breakfast the next day too!)



Garlic Lime Chicken Fajitas
(McCormick & Co. Recipe)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Marinate: 30+ minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 8

Ingredients
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced onions
¾ tsp ground cumin
¾ tsp oregano leaves
½ tsp cilantro leaves
½ tsp coarse ground black pepper
½ tsp salt
¼ cup lime juice
¼ cup orange juice
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
1 medium green or red bell pepper, cut into thin strips (we used green, red & yellow)
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
8 tortillas (8-inch)

Directions
1. Mix juices, oil, and all spices in small bowl. Reserve ¼ cup of the marinade. Place chicken in large re-sealable plastic bag or glass dish. Add remaining marinade; turn to coat well. Refrigerate 30 minutes or longer for extra flavor.
2. Cook and stir chicken in large heated skillet on medium-high heat 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from skillet. Add bell pepper, onion and reserved marinade; cook and stir 5 minutes or until tender. Return chicken to skillet. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through.
3. Spoon chicken mixture into warmed tortillas. Serve with assorted toppings (sour cream, guacamole, etc) if desired.

0 comments: