Saturday, October 8, 2011

The Power of a Simple Gift // Operation Christmas Child

One thing I love about this time of year is the opportunity to give to so many different causes, to help meet the needs of those who have so much less than I do. I will be highlighting some of the organizations and causes in which I participate starting with one that is especially FUN!
Operation Christmas Child is a project operated through Samaritan’s Purse. Every year, the organization collects shoe boxes packed by people like you and me and ships them to countries around the world for children living in poverty. These boxes contain simple gifts: toys, clothes, hygiene items, school supplies… and they are delivered with a discipleship lesson book about the greatest Gift of all: Jesus Christ.
Thanks to a willing volunteer in our congregation, our church is going to be collecting boxes again this year. We have empty shoe boxes containing instructions and labels ready for people to take home. And I am so excited to pack one myself!


The best part of this project is thinking about the child that might receive the box. You are able to pick boy or girl and an age range so you can appropriately pack the box. I am not yet sure what I will do, but I look forward to praying over the packed box and the little child that will receive it. What a simple way to be a blessing!

If you are not familiar with Operation Christmas Child, I encourage you to watch the video below and visit the Samaritan’s Purse website. There you will find out everything you need to know about packing a box and dropping it at a collection site.  I will also be discussing this more in the coming weeks, as well as highlighting store deals on items that are perfect for an OCC shoe box and my progress in packing one. I hope you will join me!

0 comments: