Saturday, October 22, 2011

Making Strides Against Breast Cancer

I just got home from walking with my Mom and Dad in the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk. It was such a fun celebration! My Mom has been cancer free for two years. Praise God for blessing us with health, life and more of my Mom!
Mom and I after the walk.
Before the walk began, the American Cancer Society hosted an “Opening Ceremonies” during which we recognized breast cancer survivors, listened to an inspiration speech and got our blood pumping with the Zumba team. Ok so I just watched, but it was fun anyways! Almost everyone was dressed in pink, and since this year’s theme was “Put on Your Pink Bra” we saw a lot of extravagantly decorated pink bras...among other things!



The most special part of the day was spending time with my Mom and watching her be recognized as a breast cancer survivor. They called up all the survivors and passed out medals to each of them. It was awesome to see all the beautiful women who can claim victory over the disease. And about 1000 others were in the crowd to support them.
Mom receiving her survivor medal.
We celebrated life today as we walked three miles around a park. It wasn’t a race, just a time to enjoy each other. The weather was cool and crisp. Plenty of laughter and cheers surrounded us entire way. We even got to visit with some giraffes. J


Below are some more pictures from the morning’s events. Here’s to my Mom…I love you!

Survivors got to sign a balloon.
Mom with her balloon.


Mom & Dad after the walk

0 comments: